The guys from Low and Slow Basics have done it again! Looking for a quick and easy snack to impress your mates this summer? Why not give these Beer Cheese and Pretzels a go ;)
Beer Cheese Dip
355ml Pirate Life Lager
2 Tbs Steak Shooter (or your favourite BBQ rub)
250g Cream Cheese (room temperature)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Paprika
1 Cup shredded Cheddar
1 Cup shredded Mozzarella
Smoking wood chunks (we used pecan)
1 Cup Water (warm)
3 tsp Yeast (instant)
1 Tbs Vegetable Oil
2 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
2 Tbs Sugar
2 Tbs Baking Soda
2 cups hot water
1/4 Cup Butter (melted)
1/4 Cup Pretzel Salt (kosher or coarse works too)
1. Whisk the warm water and yeast together in a mixing bowl. Leave aside for 10 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt and sugar together.
3. Add the water and yeast mixture in and combine into a ball of dough.
4. Spread some flour onto the counter. Knead the dough for 5 minutes until smooth.
5. Grease the bottom of a mixing bowl with vegetable oil. Place the dough in and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Leave for 1 hour.
6. Preheat your smoker to 225°F/110°C and toss a couple of wood chunks onto the charcoal/briquettes.
7. Mix cream cheese, both the shredded cheeses, bbq rub, garlic, paprika, pepper and the beer in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Stir until combined and melted.
8. Place the skillet into the smoker for 20 minutes.
10. Remove skillet and cover with foil. (place into an oven on low to keep warm)
11. Adjust the smoker to 450°F/220°C.
12. Cut the dough into 12 pieces.
13. Roll each piece of dough into the shape of a rope. Form an upside down "U" shape. Cross one end over the other and twist the two end pieces around each other once. Then bring the end pieces to the bottom of the "U" and press to form the pretzel shape.
14. Mix hot water and baking soda together in a bowl.
15. Dunk each pretzel in the mix for 10 seconds then place onto a baking sheet.
16. Brush the pretzels with butter and sprinkle with salt.
17. Place the baking sheet into the smoker and cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown.